"OUR CHURCH" BELIEFS
At Our Church, we believe true happiness begins when we realize how much the Creator of the universe loves us and desires an intimate relationship with us. We believe in the Bible. In it contains the words from God, written by man through God’s inspiration. We believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God. He died for our sins, rose from the dead, and will return again, as predicted, to claim each of us who have a personal relationship with Him.
We believe the Bible contains all the guidelines needed for fulfillment and integrity. It gives us direction for dating, marriage and raising children. It gives hope to those who have suffered through divorce and other traumatic experiences, helping them put their lives back together again. It tells us how to get along at work, school and home. It shows us how to live a life of joy and purpose. We believe…in one God, creator of all things, infinitely perfect, all knowing, and eternally existing in three persons – God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. We also believe...
1. Jesus Christ was conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He gave His live as a sacrifice for our sins by dying on the cross. He rose from the dead and ascended into heaven where He sits at the right hand of God to be our High Priest and Advocate. His death and resurrection is the basis for salvation. Whoever confesses with their mouth that Jesus is Lord and believes in their heart that God raised Him from the dead, are born of the Holy Spirit and become children of God.
2. The ministry of the Holy Spirit is to indwell, guide, convict, regenerate, instruct, and empower the believer for Godly living service.
3. The Bible, as originally written, was verbally inspired and the product of Spirit controlled men, and therefore is Truth without error in the original writings. We believe the Bible is the complete revelation of God’s will for salvation of humankind, and the standard by which all humans should live.
4. Humankind was created in the image of God but fell, through sin, and is therefore spiritually dead and separated from God.
5. Salvation is a free Gift, by God’s grace, received by placing faith in Jesus Christ. We believe that in salvation there is complete forgiveness of sin and the unmerited gift of eternal life.
6. All true believers who are born again by the Spirit through faith in Jesus Christ are assured of their salvation.
7. In the personality and reality of Satan, that he is the originator of sin, and the he is ceaseless and ruthless in his efforts to destroy God’s plan of salvation for all humankind. We believe he counterfeits the work of God by fostering false teachings that deny the blood of Jesus Christ and salvation by grace alone. Furthermore, we believe the unbeliever will spend an everlasting and conscious eternity in Hell.
8. The local church exists to help people know and glorify God, to equip and build up the believers’ faith, and to empower and unleash people to the work of the ministry.
9. All true believers, in obedience to Christ give testimony of the atoning work of Christ through baptism. We believe baptism is an outward expression of a believer’s relationship with Jesus Christ. We believe that Communion is the commemoration of His death.
10. Jesus Christ will return bodily and take his people to spend eternity in heaven. We believe His return is imminent and gives hope to the personal life and service of all believers.
11. Footnoted passages found in the Bible:
1. Exodus 20:2-3; Mathew 28:19; John 10:30; I Corinthians 8:6; II Corinthians 13:14; Revelation 4:11
2. Isaiah 7:14, 53:4-7; Matthew 1:18-25; Luke 1:35; John 1:14, 3:16; Romans 3:24, 10:9-10; Ephesians 2:8; I John 4:10
3. John 14:16, 17:17; Acts 5:3-4; Ephesians 5:18
4. II Timothy 3:16-17; II Peter 1:19-21
5. Genesis 1:6, 5:1-5; John 1:3; Romans 3:10, 5:12, 19; Colossians 1:16-17
6. Isaiah 53:11; Zechariah 13:1; Habakkuk 2:4; John 1:13, 3:3; Acts 13:19; Romans 1:17, 4:1-8; Galatians 3:11; Ephesians 2:8-9; Titus 3:5-7
7. John 3:16, 20:28-29; Romans 8:35-39; Philippians 1:6; Jude 1; I John 5:1
8. Genesis 3:1-19; Romans 5:12; II Corinthians 4:3-4, 11:13-15; Ephesians 2:2, 6:10-12; II Thessalonians 2:3-4; I Timothy 4:1-3; Revelation 20:10
9. Acts 2:41-42, 20:17-28; I Corinthians 11:2; Ephesians 5:23-24; Colossians 1:18; I Timothy 3:1-7
10. Matthew 3:16, 28:19; John 3:23, Acts 2:41, 8:36-39, 18:8; Colossians 2:12; I Corinthians 11:23-28; Luke 24:36-47; John 14:1-3; Acts 1:9-11; Philippians 3:20; I Thessalonians 4:13-18; Revelation 1:5-7, 19:11-16, 20:1-7
We are affiliated with the Wesleyan Church. The Wesleyan Church is a Protestant, evangelical, holiness denomination with a rich heritage. We teach that a victorious Christian life is possible for all believers through the experience of both forgiveness of sins and the filling of the Holy Spirit in our lives.
The name "Wesleyan" is in honor of John Wesley, a priest in the Church of England who was the inspiration and founder of the Methodist movement. Wesley was an outstanding Oxford scholar, yet regarded himself as "a man of one book," the Bible. It was while studying the Bible that he received assurance of his own salvation through faith. It was the Bible which motivated his vision for offering Christ to the common people of England in a way that led to that nation's greatest spiritual revival. It was biblical truth that inspired Wesley to develop a school for orphans, job programs, and medical assistance for the poor, efforts to reform inhumane prisons, and arguments for the abolition of slavery, a great evil of his time. Confidence in the Bible as "the only and sufficient rule for Christian faith and practice" (to use Wesley's own words) is still a hallmark of The Wesleyan Church today.
For more information, check out these web sites...